Re: Can our institute become Debian Certified

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 10:34 +0530, Abhimanyu Chauhan wrote:
> Hi
> Greetings from Jobs4Jaipur.com!!!
> First of we would like to introduce ourselves as a company based in
> Jaipur, India and working aggressively in the field software
> development. One of under development venture is to start a computer
> education training institute, which will be initially launched in Jaipur
> and then will be launched all over India. We would really like to get
> associated with you and want to start a certification course in
> association with you i.e. "Debian Certified Engineer".
> We would like to know whether is it possible and if yes what are the
> formalities to initiate the same. Looking for your positive reply and a
> very long association.

Debian has no such certification program.  Developing software to run on
Debian is much the same as developing software for any Linux/Unix
system.  The Debian-specific part is packaging, which is tested by the
New Maintainer process; however, this also requires specific
contributions to the Debian system.  You could use the NM templates
<http://alioth.debian.org/projects/nm-templates> as the starting point
for a test of packaging.  However, since these are public knowledge you
would need to take care to detect candidates who are cribbing and not
finding their own answers.

Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once.