Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

On 18/03/2008, Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> I guess there's an inequality like:
>>
>>      images on mirrors <= images on torrents <= images via jigdo
>
> Is there any way we can construct the torrent image on the fly from
> the jigdo file? [That is, transform the packages that make up bits
> x<->y into what they'd be on the iso?]
>
> I don't know enough about the mkisofs process to say whether this is
> possible, but it'd be very useful if it were.

In theory yes, and this would be quite useful. The code for this needs to
be written though.

It would also be useful for me who runs the main cd torrent seeder in that
I could just have an up-to-date debian archive and snapshot (minor rsync
update), instead of syncing 300+ gigs of data before all the seeds are
started up.

/Mattias Wadenstein

Hey,
  I'm interested in this as a problem solving exercise. I'm a beginner in the entire system, but curious.
  Torrents use md5 sums, chunks and a tracker to point at available portions of the file.
  The similarities to jigdo are there, so surely it should be possible to mash them together somehow.
  First question:
  What torrent tracker software does Debian use? BNBT? Rivettracker?

cheers,
Owen.