Re: Proposing a new source control header to link to upstream BTSs

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Andreas Tille wrote:
   XCBS-UpstreamBTS

I'm opposed to this as well. Homepage and Vcs-* were almost required and
provide the basic pointers about a package but the control file is not
a general-purpose information file.

Well, could you please draw a border line between "almost required" and
"general-purpose"?  For some time we had XCBS-debtag information in the
control file and learned that this is suboptimal.  So why not trying an
experiment?  I doubt that it adds a large amount of data to the packages
file in practice based on my experience how long it takes to adopt such
a feature.  My estimation is that we will have to deal with a one liner
for about 100 package in the end of 2008 at maximum.  If people start
to use this information in some tools it is fine.  If not we might drop
it again as we did with the debtags stuff.

Please work on something like Mole/CRMI if you want to associate much
more metadata to packages.

http://wiki.debian.org/Mole
http://wiki.debian.org/CRMI

I admit this might lead to a more powerful solution.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de