Re: dpkg with triggers support (again)

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 16:05 +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO Pendant le journal télévisé du  jeudi 13 mars 2008, vers 20:00, Russ
> Allbery <rra@debian.org> disait:
>
> > (I *have* heard of architectures in common use where a pointer to data
> > is  a  different size  than  a pointer  to  a  function, but  function
> > pointers are very rarely passed to variadic functions.)
>
> Which architectures are like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_architecture lists a number.

However, any POSIX system requires function pointers to be no larger
than data pointers so that the dlsym() function can work.

Itanium natively requires functions to be identified by a 64-bit
instruction pointer plus a 64-bit global data pointer.  The ABI defines
function pointers to point to these 128-bit data structures.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is like a sewer: