I am confused about configuration files

Hello developers,
Trying to run insserv and dependency based boot sequence on my workstation
I run into a phenomenon I cannot understand.

Let's see an example: xserver-xorg package.

I have latest version from unstable:
ii  xserver-xorg   1:7.3+10       the X.Org X server

Let's see the content of the package:
arturcz@szczaw:~$ dpkg -L xserver-xorg
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/copyright
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/bug
/usr/share/bug/xserver-xorg
/usr/share/bug/xserver-xorg/script
/etc/init.d/xserver-xorg

Do you see the last line?
Content of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.list is exactly the same.

File /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg of course exists on my filesystem:
arturcz@szczaw:~$ ls -l /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 805 Jun  3  2007 /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg

After I've been told and assured that /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg
has been removed from the package I downloaded the deb file and checked the
content with dpkg-deb -c. The man who told me that is damn right: file does
not exist in the package.

So, why it still exists? I read Debian Policy, section 10.7.3[1] but it does
not say what shall happen if after upgrade of the package it does not provide
conffile anymore.

Is the only way to make sure that conffiles do not clutter filesystem to
remove them in maintainer's script on upgrade from previous version?

Regards
	Artur

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.7.3
--