Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> John Goerzen writes ("Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)"):
>> On Friday 29 February 2008 6:16:59 am Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> > That's why you should avoid using the branch as basis to others until
>> > it's clean and also avoid to make it public (without a reason) too.
>>
>> Whatever happened to "release early, release often"?
>
> Quite so.
>
> Also, Otavio is quite wrong to suggest that I shouldn't have based my
> experimental flex branch on the triggers branch.  To do otherwise
> would have made conflicts inevitable because the two overlap; I would
> have had to do my flex work based on the old code and then do parts of
> them again, with a merge trainwreck to sort out.

You can use them as basis but after they have been cleaned to useless
commits and made logical.

I do it all the time and it works fine. Also, doing that, is very
simple to rebase your other branches against a new one. You could use
git rebase --into.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116