Re: Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:53:31PM +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> I am running a dual boot system with Windows XP and Debian just
> upgraded to unstable installed.
>
> As usual Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. To compensate
> for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS as specified.

Trying to have hardware clock in local time is bound to lose very fast.
It's inherently incompatible with having more than one operating system
installed, or even virtual machines and such...

Instead of attempting to work around the related bugs, why won't you instead
use the undocumented way to fix Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal
= (DWORD)1

You'll also need to shutdown and disable "Windows Time Service" if it's
running.  It's there on certain versions of Windows.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to let d-i fix dual-booted systems this
way...

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be