Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Sun February 24 2008 1:46:59 pm Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I vote for clean history and a bissectable tree, and I think it is worth
> the effort.  But I am no dpkg developer, this is a thing you guys have to
> find an agreement among yourselves.

See [1] for why this behavior stinks.  Short version: you're throwing away
history that may be useful later.  My example was:

Now, say we started from a common base where line 10 of file X said "hi", I
locally changed it to "foo", upstream changed it to "bar", and at merge time
I decide that we were both wrong and change it to "baz". I don't want to
lose the fact that I once had it at "foo", in case it turns out later that
really was the right decision.

[1]
http://changelog.complete.org/posts/690-Git-looks-really-nice,-until.....html