Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 06:49:10PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Jarg Sommer writes ("Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance"):
> > Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > 24 Oct 2007 - Raphael Hertzog asks me to `git-rebase', edit the email
> > >               address in my git commit logs, and so forth, allegedly
> > >               in order to make my changes easier to review.  At the
> > >               time I was reliably informed by git experts that
> > >               published branches should not be rebased.  As a rather
> > >               more experienced git user it seems clear to me now that
> > >               I was right to resist.
> >
> > There's no problem starting a new branch and rebasing this.
> >
> > % git branch trigger-new trigger
> > % git rebase master trigger-new
> But for the reasons which were discussed at length on debian-dpkg in
> October, this is not a good idea.  Sadly I was not able to persuade
> Raphael.

  Raphael is wrong to ask you to rebase, he's _really_ wrong about that,
but *you* also are wrong to ask him to pull (aka fetch + merge). The
usual way is that _you_ merge the current state of dpkg in your work so
that _you_ solve the conflicts and issues, and _then_ mainline can see
how it looks and look at the cleansed diff.

  IOW, you have to merge master, preferably in a new branch than your
trigger-new one, like a master-pu-triggers or whatever, and if mainline
is pleased or can read that patch (that I'm sure isn't _that_ big) they
_then_ will be able to merge that branch that would just be a

  Note that they may ask you to rework this merge if they had done some
further commits, but if you mkdir .git/rr-cache then git is able to use
recorded images of already solved conflicts so that merging the same
conflicts again and again doesn't costs you any time.

·O·  Pierre Habouzit