Re: Proposed MBF: Debian upstream version higher than watch file-reported upstream version

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Your guess is as good as mine.  I've asked and didn't get any answer.  As
> near as I can tell, they all really like hacking on GNU Backgammon, but
> none of them like doing release management.  (Some of them use Windows and
> do periodic builds from CVS snapshots, which may have something to do with
> it.)

I've seen several of those Windows users working on FOSS projects mainly
targeted to Linux (and UNIX's) lately.

>> By the way, I've been working on uscan and my changes can be expected to
>> be available within some days. One of the features I've been working on
>> is #395439 which might be helpful in your situation.
>
> I don't see how it would help with this in particular, although I can
> think of some other things it would be helpful for.

Let's say upstream uses the auto* stuff and stores the version of the
program in a .in, with it you could point uscan to the .in file and write a
nice regex that matches the version number. It would be tricky, if not
impossible, to make it then link to the right snapshot, but you would at
least be aware of new releases.

Cheers,
Raphael