Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:45:06 +0100, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:42:16AM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
>> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:

>> >   That's not really about "bring your feature branches" into a
>> >   patch
>> > system, but rather export them into something that looks like one
>> > so that the security team or the NMUer can have a good outlook of
>> > the modifications you apply to upstream.
>>
>> In the scenario Manoj presents above, the modifications applied to
>> upstream are easily available all in one place: the foo.diff.gz.

>   Yeah, in the very same way ubuntu gives patches to debian[0], in a
>   big
> fat unreadable blurb without comments or explanations.

        However, with my proposal, you do have alternate methods of
 getting to the threads of development,  indeoendenntly of each other,
 in a manner that allows you to individually build org + thread1
 separately from orig + thread2 -- not something that quilt allows, if I
 understand it.

        I am also not convinced that the threads of development need to
  be all in the source package, as opposed to the DCVS.

        However, a number of people do think that dpkg-source -x
 providing the sources that are used to build the binary package are
 important.

>   You didn't read carefully it seems, I'm advocating using _THE_ (not
> a, the sole only one format) quilt format to split the .diff.gz in
> something readable and understandable by a mere mortal. For all I
> care, I think wig & pen was supposed to support multiple .diff.gz,
> well, maybe it should just support the .diff.gz being a
> .quilt.tar.gz. _that_'s *all* I say.

        I am not convinced of the practicality of this proposed solution
 (actually, I am skeptical of all the models proposed so far.)

        manoj
--
Kime's Law for the Reward of Meekness: Turning the other cheek merely
ensures two bruised cheeks.