Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:12:00AM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >> I think I have indeed solved the issue of long standing feature sets
> >> using feature branches, integration branches, and sloppy branches
> >> while upgrading, and would not want to be forced to regress to a
> >> patch system.
> >>
> > I don't think anyone is talking about forcing DVCS users to regress to
> > a patch system, merely to change the interchange format; which all
> > DVCS-based maintenance methods can easily export to/import from. The
> > only reason which you would have to interact with it would be a more
> > standard interface for NMUs, which can only be a good thing.
>
>         Why should I bring my feature branches into a patch system, when
>  there is no need to?  As far as the end user or NMUer is ocnerned, they
>  do apt-get source foo, and they get the sources they may hack
>  on. Adding to the chaos by converting my nice, clean source format to
>  the blecherousness of a patch system does seem like regression to me.

  That's not really about "bring your feature branches" into a patch
system, but rather export them into something that looks like one so
that the security team or the NMUer can have a good outlook of the
modifications you apply to upstream. It sounds like a fair thing to me.
You can't decently ask the security team to know every single $SCM out
ther, and guess how $random_developer use it (especially, sorry but it's
true, when it's a SCM as complicated as tla is).

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit