Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 16:12:04 schrieb Mike Bird:
> On Mon February 11 2008 06:53:43 Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:33:54AM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> > > On *production* Debian systems, saving 30 seconds in a boot
> > > which may occur once a year for a kernel security update is
> > > not worth a single broken script, nor a single failed backup,
> > > nor a single lost data bit.
> >
> > And what about Debian desktops, booted up once per day?  What about
> > home machines?
>
> They can achieve exactly the same speedup if Debian were to adopt
> #/bin/sh.minimal and without any wanton breakage of Debian user scripts.
As I've written in a previous email a switch from debian from bash -> dash
won't break scripts on existing installations.

If you do there a dist-upgrade sh should still point to bash.. This switch
would only affect new installation.
And if there is a sysmaint who installs a new system and copy over his
existing scripts without testing, ... sorry but this is a case we
shouldn't care about.

Just my 2c.

Greetings
Winnie