toolchain issue makes qt3 drop symbols ?

Dear Debian-Devel, we need your advices.

Yesterday, we (the qt-kde packagers) uploaded qt3 version 3.3.8b. The biggest
differences over 3.3.7 is that it is now also gplv3 licensed.

And then this bug report came:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465028 - libqt3-mt: Missing
weak symbols for stat64 functions

basically, in qt3 3:3.3.7-9 and earlier, libqt3-mt seems to provide some
symbols:

$ objdump -T libqt-mt.so.3 | grep stat64
004d2d9e  w   DF .text  00000032  Base        stat64
002f19de  w   DF .text  00000032  Base        fstat64
005dcba0  w   DF .text  00000032  Base        lstat64

These symbols are also provided by the etch package of libqt3-mt.

With this newly built qt3 3.3.8b, these symbols is no longer provided.  A
newly rebuilt version of 3:3.3.7-9 is also not providing these symbols, which
kind of makes it looks like a toolchain issue.

Some packages expects these symbols (gwenview, ktorrent, virtualbox-ose and
probably many others)

The question is simply:  How to proceed?
Do it like ubuntu did and just binNMU the packages expecting these symbols?
Locate the packages expecting these symbols and have a gigantic Conflicts:
line?
Kick in a major transition and rename libqt3-mt and rebuild all rdpendencies
Isolate the toolchain change and revert it?
something else?

I am not in favour of just binNMUing everything, as we breaks partial upgrades
I am also not in favour of the big mess it would be to package-namechange qt3

And I don't know if other packages are affected by the same toolchain change ?

Any advice is most appreciated.

/Sune
--
I cannot cancel a GPU, how does it work?

You must ping a connection on the fan of the Ultra 3D tower for inserting in
the controller on the forward.