Re: pre-building NEW packages, when they only introduce new binary packages

Le Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:06:38PM +0100, Evgeni Golov a écrit :
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:10:20 -0500 Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>
> > > That probably won't make much time difference on "fast" archs (i386,
> > > amd64 etc), but on slower ones like mips, mipsel etc (those sometimes
> > > hold up testing transition :().
> > A missing build will only slow testing migration if the package wasn't
> > built when the unstable testing delay is over. Since almost all uploads
> > to NEW are low urgency, the build would need to take over 10 days to
> > affect the time to testing migration.
>
> pokerth 0.6-1-2 needed 13 days (uploaded on 28.01, built [but not yet
> uploaded] today), so it *can* make a difference (not a really big one
> though in this case)

Indeed, especially that it has been said that having the buildds not
keeping up is not uncommon during a release cycle, implementing a
mechanism to reduce the impact of this problem would be a good thing.

We are ending up in a similar stress situation as for last release, when
uploading to NEW many weeks before the freeze we were wondering if the
package would be part of the release or not. People with
responsibilities in Debian's core infrastructures should consider that
it is demotivating for many.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy