Automatic mirror selection

Hey there,

As an incredibly late follow-up to this [0] small thread, I created a
small script to act as backend for pdns and return a mirror for the
user's country.
It's a simple DNS based geographic mirror selection idea.

It works by:
- using logic based on D-I to select a mirror from a copy of
Mirrors.masterlist[1], making it behave like a user that selects his own
country during installation.
- filtering by country and arch, with a fallback host if the country
isn't found or no mirrors provide the needed arch.
- applying a _very_ simple priority scheme to the mirrors that match,
giving top points to hosts that match "ftp{1,2}.{2}.debian.org" and also
preferring "leaf" over "push" mirrors.

This last point is something I am still reluctant about: the logic was
"leafs will tend to be less loaded", but this is really not true;
perhaps some priority like "secondary > primary > leaf", to offload
primaries, but keep leafs as a last resort would be better.

I'd like to put this to use for Debian, but I face two small problems:
- I currently don't have access to any server in which I could host this.
- our d.net domains apparently[2] can't contain NS records, which means
I couldn't have anything more "integrated" without DSA's approval, even
if I had a machine.

So, which friendly soul could I ask about getting this running on a
Debian server with a d.net domain, assuming there's some interest in it
aside from my own? The DSA through a ticket?

Please fire away if you have any comments on the idea, but keep in mind
it's not intended to supplant anything we currently have and it's
obviously not intended for every scenario.

Cheers

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.mirrors/311
[1]
http://cvs.debian.org/*checkout*/webwml/english/mirror/Mirrors.masterlist