Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Hi buxy,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:44:13AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I just need a clear concept that I can try to implement.
>
> Some questions/problems:
>
> 1/ it seems that we agree that patches should be applied by default
> during unpack of the source archive. This means that dpkg-source might
> want to know which patches are currently applied (or we could get strange
> results while building the package with patches unapplied)... do we use
> the same format than quilt for that (.pc directory AFAIK)?

My sense is that Ted nailed this one. The thing all the patch systems have
in common is that they have a stack of diffs and a file denoting the order
to apply them. There are variations on the theme (dbs lacks an explicit
series file, and dpatch uses its perverse scripts-as-diffs) but overall
it's consistent. I'd like to see this be the model for whatever dpkg uses.
The file is always kept in the same directory as the patches, so dpkg
should also expect this.

If you want to call the file "series", that'd be sufficient for immediate
quilt use because quilt will generate the .pc directory when used. For the
X packages we don't store the .pc file in the VCS, just the patches and
series file, and it works perfectly. If you name the file something other
than series, it can be symlinked and quilt will work fine.

 - David Nusinow