Re: The 30 most popular packages missing in Debian

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 10:48 +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> Perhaps a possibility would be to have a sort of "module-assistant"-
> like package with a database of third-party, non-free software. This
> tool would either install the third-party software on demand (like
> googleearth-package), or give instructions on how to do it manually.
> e.g.:
What would be the benefit of having another set of commands ?
If some common tasks are shared by packages (validate license, get
binary...), couldn't this be shared by a helper program, like debconf
does.
Having two sets of commands to install our programs wouldn't be very
user friendly.

> third-party-get update
Do you also plan to have another repository ? What would be the benefit
over current non-free ?

How to resolve dependencies between free and non-free programs, if both
the tools and repository systems are different ?

Also It's important that we can tell our users "Debian 4.0, as of
2008-01-31 has flashplugin-nonfree version X.Y, skype version Z.Y", and
provide all the QA associated (BTS, security tracking...).
For instance, flashplugin-nonfree verify the checksum of the downloaded
file, and fails if it's not the one expected.
A tool similar to DEHS could be used by the maintainer to proactively
monitor if the file exists, then update the package.

Franklin