Re: How to cope with patches sanely

hi all,

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 06:21:52 pm Joey Hess wrote:
> Clint Adams wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:37:03PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > This work flow simply doesn't work with our current source package
> > > format and a patch management system.  Requiring this to work *with the
> > > current source package format* essentially means outlawing using patch
> > > management systems to manage Debian packages.  That's why this proposal
> > > is controversial.
> >
> > I agree with Lars that we should move toward requiring it to work.
>
> As do I (perhaps obviously).

is there any reason why this issue couldn't be solved by amending policy (or
just simply patching dpkg-source) to require that "debian/rules patch" (or
some less commonly used name if we're worried about existing implementations
of this rule) is called as part of the unpacking process or a source package?
just a thought...

	sean