Re: The 30 most popular packages missing in Debian

Le 29 janv. 08 à 23:57, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :

One of the lists from popcon.debian.org I find most interesting, is
the list of popular packages currently missing in Debian,
<URL:http://popcon.debian.org/unknown/by_vote>.  I understand it to
list the packages our users would love to find in Debian, but which
are currently missing.  Some are missing because we can't legally
distribute them, others are missing because no-one is willing to
maintain them in the Debian repositories, while others again are
obsolete and used to be part of Debian.

This is the top 30 list, sorted by vote (aka include files
read/executed last week):

If the software are easily installable from upstream's website, I'm don't think they should be included in non-free. For instance:

#rank name                            inst  vote   old recent no-files
1     skype                           5678  3020  2273   380     5

Skype does distribute a .deb:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-deb

Then there are legal problems:

22    w32codecs                       9231   466   578   118  8069

It's on debian-multimedia.org and I think it's too risky legally for Debian to distribute it directly, even in non-free.

23    googleearth                     1078   461   536    80     1

There's a wrapper package:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/googleearth-package

"Google Earth is available for GNU/Linux from their web site, but is not only not Free Software, but is completely undistributable by a third party." (I didn't check whether this package downloads Google Earth for you, but I assume it does).

Perhaps a possibility would be to have a sort of "module-assistant"- like package with a database of third-party, non-free software. This tool would either install the third-party software on demand (like googleearth-package), or give instructions on how to do it manually. e.g.:

third-party-get update
third-party-get show skype
  skype v. 2.... can be installed running
    third-party-get install skype
  please do review the license agreement located at ...
third-party-get show googleearth
  goggleearth v. 4..... can be installed using
    apt-get install googleearth-package
  please do review the license agreement located at ...
third-party-get show foo
to install foo, go to http://www.foo.bar/download/license- agreement.html
   and click "agree". Then run.....

Best regards, Thibaut.