Re: Is a free document whose sources have been lost free?

"Charles Plessy" <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote in message [🔎] 20080127090858.GG22882@kunpuu.plessy.org">news:[🔎] 20080127090858.GG22882@kunpuu.plessy.org...
Le Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:35:16PM -0800, Don Armstrong a écrit :
Unless the pdf is exceptionally complicated, it's not all that
difficult to resurect LaTeX that does a similar job; it'd probably be
ideal to do this and distribute the pdf files built from that, unless
the underlying codebase never changes and you won't ever need to fix a
bug in the documentation.

Thanks for your answers (and thank for the private answer I got as
well). I will prepare an update of dialign-t using unmodified sources
and ask for the removal of dialign-t-doc from non-free.

Actually, the documentation has been almost completely rewritten in
DocBook format for making the manpage of dialign-t for Debian, but I am
reluctant to replace the original html and pdf files: it is just like
adding my name into a work I have not done.

Umm.. If that dockbook file is cabable of generating basically the same documents
as the current HTML and PDF files, then it seems to me that a line that says
"Converted to docbook format by Charles Plessy" would be fine, and definately
not like adding your name to a work that is not your own.
Further, I would tend to guess that if the original source for those files is gone, upstream would be interested in any replacments so that they could update those
files in the future.

Have a nice day,