Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Joerg Jaspert wrote:
On 11278 March 1977, Holger Levsen wrote:

So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.

On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know :) Please explain here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.

It is a dropin replacement with the config that the package delivers in
Debian.

rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf. So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.

rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.

This easily allows for other packages to add custom configuration very easily.

Of course using syslog-ng means you can take some more advantages
compared to the old sysklogd - like automated logrotating.
http://ganneff.de/syslog-ng.conf is an (old) config from me for that,
which simply keeps logs in a host/year/month/day structure.
It also has a nice set of filters and stuff, can do tcp and not only
udp, and lots more.

rsyslog has all these features, too (and many more). It even offers support for logging into MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, which only the commercial syslog-ng branch has. Support for these is in two separate packages rsyslog-mysql and rsyslog-pgsql. These two packages use the dbconfig-common framework to setup the database and automatically create config files for /etc/rsyslog.d/, so you can get up and running really quick and hassle free.

A real plus is also upstream, who is very responsive and active and it's a pleasure to work with him.

As maintainer of rsyslog, I'd really like to see rsyslog become the default for lenny and I think it would be a very good choice.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?