Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 01:55 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > On 11278 March 1977, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >
> >> So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.
> >
> >> On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a
> >> drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know :) Please explain
> >> here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.
> >
> > It is a dropin replacement with the config that the package delivers in
> > Debian.
>
> rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can
> understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file
> /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf.
> So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to
> /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.
>
> rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default
> /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.
>
> This easily allows for other packages to add custom configuration very
> easily.
>
> > Of course using syslog-ng means you can take some more advantages
> > compared to the old sysklogd - like automated logrotating.
> > http://ganneff.de/syslog-ng.conf is an (old) config from me for that,
> > which simply keeps logs in a host/year/month/day structure.
> > It also has a nice set of filters and stuff, can do tcp and not only
> > udp, and lots more.
>
> rsyslog has all these features, too (and many more). It even offers
> support for logging into MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, which only the
> commercial syslog-ng branch has.
> Support for these is in two separate packages rsyslog-mysql and
> rsyslog-pgsql. These two packages use the dbconfig-common framework to
> setup the database and automatically create config files for
> /etc/rsyslog.d/, so you can get up and running really quick and hassle free.
>
> A real plus is also upstream, who is very responsive and active and it's
> a pleasure to work with him.
>
> As maintainer of rsyslog, I'd really like to see rsyslog become the
> default for lenny and I think it would be a very good choice.
>

> Cheers,
> Michael

I agree with this. Additionally, Balasz Schielder (Balabit) makes people
who contribute to syslog-ng sign a contributory license agreement [1],
so that they can be included in syslog-ng premium, which is in my view
against the whole purpose of open source. If you disagree with signing
the CLA, your patch is rejected. As such, I feel that syslog-ng is not a
good choice for the default syslogd in Debian.

rsyslog upstream have a fairly good reputation of being cooperative and
generally good to work with, at least from what i have observed.

William

[1] http://www.balabit.com/dl/CLA_patch.pdf