Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:23:45AM +0000, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   And in taht sense, wig&pen that allow you to put multiple diffs rather
> > than a single .diff.gz with your orig tarball is quite enough.
> > debian/control is already here for the rest, and we just need some more
> > Vcs-* like headers, or some new resource to list the proper Debian
> > packages upstreams (maybe in mole ?) since Vcs-* headers in a given
> > package cannot be updated if the maintainer changes, and that the Vcs he
> > uses changes location.
>
>  Is the above a proposal to include each individual patch / feature as a
>  separate .diff in the source package?  IOW foo.dsc would point to
>  foo.tgz, foo.debian.diff for the Debian packaging, and patch-1.diff,
>  patch-2.diff etc.?  This doesn't sound very practical for large
>  patchsets.  :-(

  Not really, it would point to the orig.tar.gz's, a debian.tar.gz that
would hold the content of debian/, and a patches.tar.gz that would hold
a quilt series in it. Or anything similar, that's just an example.

  It's very easy to produce the two last tarballs from any $SCM, and it
should scale quite well :)

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit