Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 04:35:24PM +0000, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 05:23:16PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 03:44:20PM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > > Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > would you mind telling us an example where simple-patchsys breaks? Or
> > > is this more cdbs making things complicated for any non-vanilla use?
> >
> >   For example when you need different series of patches per
> > architecture (the libc e.g. has specific hurd patches).
>
> OTOH, if you'd want patches to be integrated upstream, they'd need not
> be architecture specific (in the sense that it would make other
> architecture fail to build or have broken code).

  Well, for the patches in question, we're not really sure of the
implications on the other archs, but hurd needs it. Though I'm not 100%
the patch I'm thinking about is still here.

  Also another less diputable feature, is that you can disable a patch
and not drop it from debian/patches. The series (or 00list for the
matter) is _really_ a feature.

  And when you have lots of patches (more than 10 I'd say), you
sometimes have to reorder them, or deal with patches that conflicts
together, and quilt-refresh is a feature that is most wanted, and you
can't do that in simple-patchsys. In fact, simple-patchsys does not
gives any feature except the patch/unpatch targets. quilt is a complete
solution that gives you patch/unpatch, but really gives you tools to
update your patches with as little pain as possible. And AFAICT, dpatch
doesn't provide such facilities, but that may have changed.

Note: I know you know that, I'm really answering to Andreas here.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit