Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 04:07:27PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 02:33:40PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Yes. Merge is liable to be trickier since there are a couple of
> > different possible sets of semantics, but that's much more likely to be
> > an operation performed by the regular maintenance team than by a
> > drive-by uploader, so that doesn't worry me too much.
>
>   Well, in a perfect wold, people would be able when they do a NMU e.g.
> to commit into a public branch with a known location, and the regular
> maintenance team will be the one that would merge it back into the
> packaging mainline.

With the consent of the maintainer, the public branch with the known
location could be identical to the packaging mainline (à la
collab-maint).

But in any case, I was actually referring to merging new upstream
versions into Debian, not to merging work done by non-maintainers,
although I didn't express myself very clearly.