Re: hot to build i386 on amd64 using pbuilder?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:01:42 +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:28:03PM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
>> I have noticed another error in the logs, there are permission errors
>> on /dev/null
>> Logging into the chroot reveals /dev/null is 644, not 666 as I would
>> expect.
>>
>> How can I fix the permissions of /dev/null under the chroot?
>>
>> Are my problems likely to be cause by the fact that my machine is
>> running as a vserver?
>
> Yes, on vserver root is not really root.  You can't mknod, mess with
> device files, mount filesystems, mess with network, etc.  Even some of
> the restrictions which have already been fixed on newer versions are by
> default (proper paranoia) masked away with machine capabilities.
>
> Both pbuilder and piuparts fail extremely badly, even though one would
> expect them to have support for virtualization.  But unless one of us
> bothers enough to fix it, the support won't be there.

Because I am a "raving vserver zealot" I will point out that if you don't
mind compromising the host's security inside the vserver, you can add the
CAP_MKNOD capability to this vserver, which will enable the ability to
make device nodes via mknod and likely will cause pbuilder and piuparts
work as advertised.

If you add this capability the vserver, you are giving the root access to
make random devices inside the vserver, which effectively compromises the
entire security isolation point of the vserver model. If you can create
the /dev/hda device node and start poking around outside of the security
context, then you are asking for trouble.

But if its your own box, and you are fine with that, then all you need to
do is:

echo "CAP_MKNOD" > /etc/vservers/<vservername>/bcapabilities

and then restart your vserver.

Micah