Re: hot to build i386 on amd64 using pbuilder?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:28:03PM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
> I have noticed another error in the logs, there are permission errors
> on /dev/null
> Logging into the chroot reveals /dev/null is 644, not 666 as I would expect.
>
> How can I fix the permissions of /dev/null under the chroot?
>
> Are my problems likely to be cause by the fact that my machine is
> running as a vserver?

Yes, on vserver root is not really root.  You can't mknod, mess with device
files, mount filesystems, mess with network, etc.  Even some of the
restrictions which have already been fixed on newer versions are by default
(proper paranoia) masked away with machine capabilities.

Both pbuilder and piuparts fail extremely badly, even though one would
expect them to have support for virtualization.  But unless one of us
bothers enough to fix it, the support won't be there.

Even reading up on the intricaties of machine caps can be more work than I
care -- if you have a non-vserver machine nearby, I guess you won't care
that much too.

In theory, you can run pbuilder in vserver host, but if you follow proper
security practices and have the host tightly locked down with the minimum
access needed (server-like setup), it's a bad idea.  If it's just a normal
machine with vserver-enabled kernel (desktop with VMs) just do it the old
way outside vserver...  Or be a hero and fix it for the rest of us  ;-)

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be