Re: dh_shlibdeps and -dbg packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 07:03:43PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> A lot of these seem to be -dbg packages and I've got a few issues with
> that. Even if I add ${shlibs:Depends} for the -dbg package and run
> dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps, I get this warning with dh_gencontrol
> for the -dpkg package:
[...]
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> The -dbg package depends on the stripped version of the same library
> (which does depend on libc6) so I don't see that I can actually comply
> without adding the depends artificially.

Hm, dh_shlibdeps prunes /usr/lib/debug when looking for ELF executables.
This was apparently done when adding support for split debugging symbols
files: see #215670.

This looks like a bug to me, since /usr/lib/debug is used for "real"
unstripped libraries too. Just filed #461339 on debhelper.

Cheers,
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org