Re: Possible mass bug filing: missing shared library dependencies

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:13:43 +0200
Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:

> After noticing a few compiled Perl module packages were missing
> ${shlibs:Depends} and/or dh_makeshlibdeps, I looked a bit into how
> widespread this issue is.
>
> Methodology: on sid/amd64, for all Architecture:amd64 packages that don't
> Depend or Pre-Depend on libc6 [1], check all ELF files (as identified by
> 'file') inside with 'objdump -p' for linking against libc.so.6.
>
> Result: 300 binary packages from 240 source packages are missing at least
> the libc6 dependency, possibly others.  Generally, this means they are
> not running dpkg-shlibdeps on the files or depending on the results,
> which violates policy 8.6:

A lot of these seem to be -dbg packages and I've got a few issues with
that. Even if I add ${shlibs:Depends} for the -dbg package and run
dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps, I get this warning with dh_gencontrol
for the -dpkg package:

neil@fergus:qof-0.7.4$ fakeroot dh_makeshlibs -plibqof1-dbg
neil@fergus:qof-0.7.4$ less debian/libqof1-dbg/DEBIAN/shlibs
neil@fergus:qof-0.7.4$ fakeroot dh_shlibdeps -plibqof1-dbg
neil@fergus:qof-0.7.4$ less debian/libqof1-dbg/DEBIAN/shlibs
neil@fergus:qof-0.7.4$ fakeroot dh_gencontrol -plibqof1-dbg
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable
${shlibs:Depends}

The -dbg package depends on the stripped version of the same library
(which does depend on libc6) so I don't see that I can actually comply
without adding the depends artificially.

>  [...] and when a package is built which contains any shared libraries
>  or compiled binaries, it must run dpkg-shlibdeps on these to determine
>  the libraries used and hence the dependencies needed by this package

For -dbg packages, I already do this - with no effect.

> List of binary packages by maintainer ('dd-list -b') appended. I can't
> see any chance for false positives here, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

There are some -dev packages in here too - not sure if those are
correct.

As far as the backend modules for QOF, these are being made into
private libraries in the upcoming libqof2 transition so I won't be
doing anything with those in the final 0.7.4 libqof1 release.

> J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) <jdassen@debian.org>
>    libgoffice-0-4-dbg
>    libgoffice-0-6-dbg
>    libgsf-1-114-dbg
>    libgsf-gnome-1-114-dbg
> Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org>
>    libgtk2.0-dev
>    libpango1.0-dev
> Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>
>    bsdmainutils
>    libncurses5-dbg
>    libncursesw5-dbg
>    python-bsdiff
> Bradley Bell <btb@debian.org>
>    libgtkmm-dev
> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
>    libendeavour2-dev
> Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
>    lib32stdc++6-4.1-dbg
>    lib32stdc++6-4.2-dbg
>    lib32stdc++6-4.3-dbg
>    libstdc++5-3.3-dbg
>    libstdc++6-4.1-dbg
>    libstdc++6-4.2-dbg
>    libstdc++6-4.3-dbg
>    libstdc++6-dbg
> Debian multimedia packages maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>    liba52-0.7.4-dev
> Debian QOF packaging team <pkg-qof-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>    libqof-backend-qsf0
>    libqof-backend-sqlite0
>    libqof1-dbg
> Debian VoIP Team <pkg-voip-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>    libccaudio2-dev
>    libiaxclient-dev
> Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
>    libassa3.4-0-dev
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
>    libghc6-wash-dev
> Gudjon I. Gudjonsson <gudjon@mc2.chalmers.se>
>    libqwt5-qt3-dev
>    libqwt5-qt4-dev
> Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse@debian.org>
>    pvm-dev
> Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
>    libdirectfb-dev
> Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>
>    libmailutils-dev
> Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>
>    librep-dev
> Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
>    libglib2.0-dev
> Gustavo R. Montesino <grmontesino@ig.com.br>
>    libgnomedb2-dev
> Daniel Rus Morales <danirus@tol-project.org>
>    libdmalloc-dev
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org>
>    libqwt-dev
> Sam Hocevar (Debian packages) <sam+deb@zoy.org>
>    liballegro-dev
> Ondřej Surý <ondrej@debian.org>
>    libpoppler-glib-dev
>    libwnck-dev
> Akira TAGOH <tagoh@debian.org>
>    libgtk1.2-dbg
> Debian GSS Team <help-gss@gnu.org>
>    libgss-dev
> Marcio Roberto Teixeira <marciotex@gmail.com>
>    libiec61883-dev
> Aaron M. Ucko <ucko@debian.org>
>    libncbi6-dev

(Just a sample of the -dbg and -dev packages)

--

Neil Williams