Re: Please write useful changelogs

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:58:19PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:

> > > This says about nothing at all.  It gives me no more information than
> > > "Something changed".
> >
> > For all fairness, you cut out the rest of the changes below it, which
> > included the full Ubuntu changelogs where this refers to. It can be
> > debated if this is a nice style, but the information is there.
>
> The other items were, well, other items at the same level as the one
> quoted above.  If any or all of those items were indeed part of the
> synchronisation then they should appear as items under the sync-entry.
> The way it's written leads me to believe that anibal synchronised, then
> bumped the standards-version, moved the hompage, and improved
> crossbuilding, etc.

I think Thijs meant the changelog entries 1.0.4-0ubuntu1 and
1.0.4-0ubuntu2, which are not in the .changes.

Maybe it would be alright to say "Synchronize with Ubuntu (closes:
#foo)" IF #foo is a "please synchronise with Ubuntu bug" (similar to a
"new upstream version available" bug) AND you include the relevant
Ubuntu changelog entries in the changes via dpkg-buildpackage
-vlastversionbeforeubuntuchanges.

Otherwise, elaborate on which bug gut fixed exactly and/or mention which
Ubuntu changes are still present.

Michael