Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:18:53PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:11:01PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > Once we are at it: If we don't do clean shutdowns of the services anymore, why
> > don't you just turn off power instead of taking the pain to kill the processes?
> > I guess I missed the point.
>
> Well, not sure whether I'm playing devil's advocate here, but:
>
> init sends a TERM signal to the processes, and only 5(?) seconds later
> the KILL signal.  So databases or other services can catch the TERM
> signal and have five seconds to properly shutdown, which might or might
> not be enough.

I really think you ought to be a little bit more sure than "which might
or might not be enough" before starting to play with other people's
data.

Sure, there are many cases where it will do no harm to have the general
process killer kill a process, rather than that process' specific
initscript do so. Perhaps Ubuntu does this; FreeBSD has done so for ages
as well (they literally shut down in seconds). That doesn't mean it's a
good idea to do in *all* cases.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22