Re: Opinions sought: mlocate appropriate for Priority: standard?

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> * Andreas Metzler [Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:32:47 +0100]:
[...]
>> How does mlocate.updatedb handle updatedb.conf? Does the binary read
>> the file on every execution or does it also rely on wrapper script
>> (the cron job) to source it? findutils works the latter way and the
>> file is therefore misnamed, it is find-daily.defaults, not
>> updatedb.conf.

> The updatedb binary directly reads updatedb.conf.

>> You do not plan on sharing the configuration file between packages, do
>> you?

> Well, what do you suggest? How does dpkg react when unpacking a conffile
> that is the conffile of another package?
[...]

Evil stuff. Shared configuration files cannot be shipped in
(non-conflicting) packages, it needs to be handled differently (See
policy 10.7.4.) I would propose to simply have the GNU locate package
use find-daily.defaults instead of /etc/updatedb.conf.
cu andreas

so grateful to you.'