Re: Opinions sought: mlocate appropriate for Priority: standard?

* Andreas Metzler [Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:31:29 +0100]:

> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Imho this problem is not one that needs to be solved, if multiple
> >> locates are installed, multiple databases should be generated.

> > I think differently. Particularly given that findutil's locate can be
> > installed only as a dependency of other packages. (If this wasn't the
> > case, I'd agree your point of view is valid as well.) Did you consider
> > this?

> I did consider it, but afaik the pulled-in-by-dependency-szenario is
> going to be rare.

Well, dlocate has 2500 popcon installations, vs. slocate's 1500. So, I'm
still convinced findutil's locate's cron script should either only run if
it's the configured locate, *or* not run unless enabled in /etc/default/locate.

But it's your package and I know how to disable one script for cron, so
I won't mention it further. :-)

                                 * * *

Down to some specifics:

  * shall we use a single alternative group /usr/bin/locate (symlink:
    locate), with slaves for /usr/share/man/man1/locate.1.gz,
    /usr/bin/updatedb, and /usr/share/man/man1/updatedb.1.gz? (mlocate
    likes its updatedb man page in section (8), and I think it makes
    more sense; does the .1 come from upstream, or is something that
    could be changed in your package? Or maybe it's better to use .1 due
    to "histerical reasons")

    I guess mlocate can use priority 80, and plain locate 20?

    (mlocate also provides updatedb.conf.5, which could be a problem if
    locate starts shipping it at some point. Should I install an
    alternative for it just in case?)

  * how about this plan?:

    1a. I upload mlocate to experimental with

      Conflicts: findutils (<= 4.3.8-1), slocate (<= 3.1-1.1)

    1b. You upload locate from findutils 4.3.8-2 to experimental, with
    Conflicts as above (no need for Replaces, since it doesn't replace
    any files; the alternatives are not shipped in the .deb). In the
    same upload, findutils gets:

      Breaks: dlocate (<= 0.5-0.3)

    1c. I submit a bug against dlocate asking for

      Depends: locate | findutils (<= 4.2.31-1)

    2. After verifying it works, we upload to unstable
       (mlocate+conflicts, locate+conflicts, findutils+breaks), and I
       take care of providing a patch for slocate, possibly making a
       NMU, and possibly making a NMU of dlocate as well. (By the looks
       of it, looks like both of them will be needed.)

  Sounds good, and/or possible ETA?

Thanks,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

La música es de los que la quieren escuchar y de nadie más.
                -- Andrés Calamaro