Re: RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:42:52 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Also, do we really need *any* printing system as priority: standard?
> It's not clear to me that printing is still really part of a standard
> Unix installation, even for desktop users (and it definitely isn't for
> servers).

        Way back when, “standard” was defined as  stuff that an old UNIX
 hand would say “WTF happened to that?” if it is not present on a
 default install. While I am unsure of this definition of standard still
 holds, but as an old UNIX hand I can say that if I am on a UNIX like
 machine, and I can't just say lpr foo.txt and have it printed on the
 default printer, I would find the system deficient and un-UNIX like.

        How the printing occurs is not significant, as long as it can.

        manoj
--
Why does a ship carry cargo and a truck carry shipments?