Re: RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 01:26:25AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:42:52 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> > Also, do we really need *any* printing system as priority: standard?
> > It's not clear to me that printing is still really part of a standard
> > Unix installation, even for desktop users (and it definitely isn't for
> > servers).

>         Way back when, “standard” was defined as  stuff that an old UNIX
>  hand would say “WTF happened to that?” if it is not present on a
>  default install. While I am unsure of this definition of standard still
>  holds,

According to Policy, this is the definition of "important" rather than
"standard"?  ("Standard" is defined as "what we install by default", where
the core UNIX stuff is identified as the "important" subset of this.)

> but as an old UNIX hand I can say that if I am on a UNIX like
> machine, and I can't just say lpr foo.txt and have it printed on the
> default printer, I would find the system deficient and un-UNIX like.

>         How the printing occurs is not significant, as long as it can.

To satisfy this I guess we would need to raise the priority of both cupsys
and cupsys-bsd.

I'm assuming that re-raising the priority of lpr is not a reasonable means
of addressing this, since that's now a completely separate printing
implementation than the one used by default on the desktop now and AFAICS it
doesn't make sense to use two different defaults for these purposes.