Re: RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
>
>> Not sure if anybody is still using the old BSD printing stuff - at least
>> I can't see any reason why it should have a higher priority than
>> optional.
>
> I am.  It's simple and it works, and CUPS seems ridiculously bloated for
> the only printing need I have (printing PostScript files to a network
> printer).

In theory that's all I need, too - and our printers support it. But they
also support to print from 6 different trays and a _lot_ of other
settings - and that's the point where you need a ppd file. Luckily OSX
uses cups, too, so often you're able to get good ppds from the producer,
at least for the more expensive models. Using them was very painless so
far - it just works.

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>