Re: dh_installinit

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:33:58AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Sounds like a bug in the init script.  In particular, it sounds like the
> init script is starting some program that's waiting for input on standard
> input.  This would be bad when the init script is run during system boot
> as well.

If the package is using Debconf it may also be a bug in the application.
Debconf uses a file descriptor to communicate with the package scripts
and only exits when the file descriptor is closed.  If something
daemonises without closing all file descriptors it doesn't need (usually
all file descriptors that were open when it was invoked) then it will
hold the Debconf file descriptor open, causing Debconf to wait
indefinitely.