Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:06:55 +0100
Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:

> How about making the snippet available in a .mk file that could just be
> included, so that whenever there is an enhancement, everyone can take
> advantage of it (but then, the snippet would need extra care to stay
> compatible) ?

Nice idea and I have thought about it - the natural place for a cross
building .mk file is within emdebian-tools or dpkg-cross - but even
after only building a core of 90 source packages, I can tell that there
is sufficient variation that the snippet would be so short as to be a
runt.

It isn't sufficient to just set the section that we have been
discussing (disputing?) here. The variables set by that section need to
be implemented later in the rules file and tie in with other settings
used by the package. In practice, this means individual patches. (When
I said this problem was "common", I did not mean "uniform".)

--

Neil Williams