Re: Why no Opera?

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:26:45 +0200
Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> >> The Firefox monoculture is doing a lot of harm to our community.
>
> > So, I don't know what "monoculture" you're referring to.
>
> Popcon gives 23000 for iceweasel, 500 for dillo, and 18 for netsurf.
> (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that konqueror statistics are
> not significant since it's also used as a file manager.)
>
> If that's not a monoculture, I don't know what is.

You missed out more popular selections:

epiphany-browser: 11240
lynx: 5549

That drops the % from some 99% to closer to 65% or so.

Yet popcon cannot extrapolate votes to actual usage. I have iceweasel
installed but I rarely use it - probably just enough for it to show up
in my popcon results as a regular 'vote'. Yet I regularly use
epiphany-browser - at least 1,000 times more often than iceweasel. I
also use lynx, I use Galeon and I sometimes use things like dillo or
gtkhtml portals in other applications.

Popcon cannot differentiate between those because I use at least four
browsers at least once per month so the actual % is quite different.

In terms of usage, I would say I use epiphany-browser. I would not
describe myself as an iceweasel user, in fact I try to avoid using such
an overweight and inefficient browser.

I used to use Opera in my Windows-days and I don't miss it. IF it
becomes fully DFSG compliant, I'd welcome it into main but I still
wouldn't probably use it.

--

Neil Williams