Re: US mirror troubles

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:21:02PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > Imho Debian's ctte should decide about this, and if they decide to have
> > sorted IPv4 addresses by default, somebody needs to take care that _ALL_
> > programs using IPv4 are changed.  Including browsers, IM clients and all
> > daemons which usually connect to addresses outside of the own computer.
>
> Note that unless I am mistaken, this discussion is about getaddrinfo() only,
> not gethostbyname(). I'd assume quite a lot of software uses gethostbyname()
> still.

That is much better :-)  Still, lots of gethostbyname()->getaddrinfo()
conversions were done blindly and the ammount of bugs re. DNS round-robin
this will expose is not funny.

Is there any advantage for that default in Debian?  Anyone who cares about
network proximity on round-robin IPv4 already knows to pick one host and
to stop using the round-robin names.

We still ship ECN disabled for a reason, and unlike ECN enabled by default
everywhere (which would actually help a lot the network), breaking IPv4
round-robin in buggy applications will only make things worse (as our
default is NOT going to find out the closest IPv4 host automatically).

  Henrique Holschuh