Re: US mirror troubles

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 35.9.37.225, in http.us.debian.org, and ftp.us.debian.org, has been
> unreachable on port 80 from all the networks I have access to for days.
>
> This is ftp.egr.msu.edu.
>
> It is also still listed at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>
> It is listed "bad" at http://mirror.debian.org/status.html
>
> Can someone remove it from http.us.debian.org and the list until it's back?
>
> Also, would it be possible to notify mirror admins of bad mirrors
> autoamtically in the future, so this problem can be avoided?
>
> Meanwhile, I can't seem to find a list of rsyncable US mirrors anymore.  Does
> anyone know where that list is kept?
>
> I'm not sure what list is best for this.  Apologies if I found the
> wrong one.

I also notice that we have 4 servers listed under the name
"http.us.debian.org"

Using "host" from bind9-host,
$ host http.us.debian.org
http.us.debian.org has address 128.101.240.212
http.us.debian.org has address 204.152.191.7
http.us.debian.org has address 35.9.37.225
http.us.debian.org has address 64.50.238.52

And if you repeat the command, you will see the DNS doing round-robin
returning the addresses in various orders.  This seems great.

However, libc6 resolv+ (I think - can someone confirm who is to
blame?) goes out of its way to *sort* the list by IP number and thus
thwarts the round-robin.  Aptitude (and wget, &c) *always* choose
35.9.37.225.  This server must be getting beat like a red-headed
stepchild since *all* the debian update/upgrade trying
http.us.debian.org go there.

Where do I send a bug report about IP number sorting in (I presume)
gethostbyname()?