Re: US mirror troubles

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > I opened an upstream bug report with ntp.  But I would rather see the
> > default get changed.  I think there are just too many
> > people/applications that assume a certain behaviour that's different
> > then what we have now.
> >
> Exactly, especially in IPv4 round robin using DNS is a a de-facto
> standard, and changing this behavior in libc6 is just *stupid* - sorry,
> but I have no other words for that. Imho Debian's ctte should decide
> about this, and if they decide to have sorted IPv4 addresses by default,
> somebody needs to take care that _ALL_ programs using IPv4 are changed.
> Including browsers, IM clients and all daemons which usually connect to
> addresses outside of the own computer.

Agreed, and I second the request that such behaviour be made non-default for
IPv4 in Debian.

The amount of breakage this stunt is going to cause is not funny, and if you
want to know the first ones that will blow up, I can name our own setups,
that *are* based on DNS round-robin, and www.kernel.org and friends as an
example.

  Henrique Holschuh