Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

Ad testing,

in my experience, testing is not really good option for real work. There are _platform_ changes going in testing, that leads to broken dependencies and sometimes completely nonfunctional snapshots.

Therefore, I suggest _the_platform_ (libraries and so on) to remain stable, just upgrade the software that runs on top of that. Thus we can both avoid broken deps problems, and have new software available.

If You mean to use the software from testing -You must first make it run on stable without need for library upgrades. That is more similar to backports job, than to testing.

Testing should simply be the place where _platform_ changes are shaken out, not the "input buffer for the new software".

Peter

Petter Reinholdtsen  wrote / napísal(a):
[Peter Tuharsky]
Ask somebody, what distro would he install at desktop for novice or M$
refugee? Why many are choosing Ubuntu instead of Debian, and even
worse, abandon Debian in favor of Ubuntu? Why do most people consider
Debian to be user-unfriendly and server-oriented distro?

Interesting analysis, with several good points on keeping the stable
release working with newer hardware and keeping the software selection
relevant.  But my first impression after reading your long text is
that you are ignoring the work going on at backports.org, and the
ideas that has been floating around on making a Debian release based
on the stable version for the "base" packages, and include upgraded
packages like the kernel, X, Gnome, KDE and other hardware- and
user-interacting packages from backports.org.  You might want to have
a look into those ideas.

I've also seen ideas on making releases based on testing, now that we
have security fixes for the packages in testing.  It could give a
snapshot of internally consistent packages (as opposed to unstable).

Friendly,

--
Odchádzajúca správa neobsahuje ví­rusy, nepou¾í­vam Windows.

Mgr. Peter Tuhársky
Referát informatiky
Mesto Banská Bystrica
ÈSA 26