Re: Use bz2 not gz for orig.tar ?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 01:09:50PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > >
> > > You wouldn't say that if you had a Via C3 with 10 Mbit bandwith.
> > >
> > Which is by far a minority situation.  You are much more likely to end
> > up with someone on a 384k or 512k DSL (or even slower ISDN link) with an
> > opteron, xeon, athlon64 or the like.  I'm not saying that your situation
> > is not possible, simply that trading size for compression/decompression
> > time would benefit far more people than it would "hurt."
>
> You know, make it intelligent enough, and you can have per-arch settings of
> what compression to use.  gzip for arm, lzma for amd64, and source, etc.
>
> The dak suite, and dpkg, certainly won't care.  It would just work.

Cool.

Out of curiousity, how would source packages be handled?  Would you
allow multiple source upload formats or mandate the "best"?  Also, if
the uploader uploads a "wrong" format for a binary upload, would the
archive repackage it or would it reject the upload?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez