Re: Use bz2 not gz for orig.tar ?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 09:12:33AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 12 avril 2007 à 21:15 +0200, Robert Millan a écrit :
> > I think compression ratio is better than speed in most cases.  With better
> > compressed packages we save archive space, users save a lot of bandwidth, and
> > the first CD/DVD can hold more stuff.  That's important too.
>
> You wouldn't say that if you had a Via C3 with 10 Mbit bandwith.

Which is by far a minority situation.  You are much more likely to end
up with someone on a 384k or 512k DSL (or even slower ISDN link) with an
opteron, xeon, athlon64 or the like.  I'm not saying that your situation
is not possible, simply that trading size for compression/decompression
time would benefit far more people than it would "hurt."

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez