Re: Use bz2 not gz for orig.tar ?

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:12 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:12:00PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Do we have plans for lenny to enable the use of bzip2 instead of gzip
> > for the upstream orig.tar source tarballs?  Does dpkg/apt support this
> > already or has this already been thought about?
> >
> > This would reduce our archive size by some 20% if all packages moved to
> > bzip2.
>
> Why not lzma?  It reduces size even more

It's the same question really. "Do we want to move on from gz?"

I guess bzip2 is more widely known than lzma, that is we're more likely
to directly use upstream's tarballs by adding bzip2 support. Certainly
X.org releases tarballs both gz and bz2 compressed.

But the question could be made more general.  Why do we explicitly
enforce gz compression at the moment, why couldn't we support *any*
compression scheme that upstream developer or Debian maintainer might
care to use?  (perhaps the CPU arguments answer this sufficiently,
though I'm not convinced by them myself).

Drew