Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:43:09PM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
>> Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> writes:
>>
>> > If x86_64-linux-gnu is stablished as the new reference api, well, they'll
>> > be forced to.
>>
>> Reference for what?  Is there any software vendor porting his
>> applications to 64bit Linux because of problems with win64?
>
> No, but there isn't any vendor providing win64 games either.  Everything
> I see are proof-of-concept versions that nobody is going to use because
> functionaly equivalent win32 counterparts are available.  I will truly
> believe it when I see win64-only games, and when I see gamers give up their
> old, driverless hardware to be able to run them on win64.

I don't think it needs win64-only games.  It just needs games that run
with a 10% higher frame rate on win64 to create demand. Or on
Linux-amd64.

My point is that not many people will switch to 64bit Linux because
they can not have a working win64 system.  People switch for other
reasons.  Or would if their favorite application would support it.
And for most people it doesn't matter whether they run in 32 or 64bit
mode on Windows and Linux.  I run amd64 because it is available and
almost as complete as i386 - not because I really need it.

>> I havn't
>> noticed any.  Proprietary software that is available for Linux is only
>> available for i386 in most cases.
>
> The same happens on Windows.
>
>> I don't know what the critical mass of Linux users is that generates
>> interest for Linux among software vendors.  We seem to be far from
>> it.
>
> Yes, but Microsoft is much farther.  I wouldn't be surprised if our 64-bit
> userbase outnumbered win64's already.

And MS doesn't care.  As long as users don't switch to Linux because
they need a working 64bit system.  This might be the case for servers
but not for desktop systems.  People just stay with win32 if they can
not have win64 drivers for their hardware.

> When 64-bit computing as a whole starts to become significant,
> they'll start to be interested in either of these platforms.

It will be a while before that happens for desktop computers.  So far
it doesn't provide a real advantage for the average desktop computer.

Matthias