Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:43:09PM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> writes:
>
> > If x86_64-linux-gnu is stablished as the new reference api, well, they'll
> > be forced to.
>
> Reference for what?  Is there any software vendor porting his
> applications to 64bit Linux because of problems with win64?

No, but there isn't any vendor providing win64 games either.  Everything
I see are proof-of-concept versions that nobody is going to use because
functionaly equivalent win32 counterparts are available.  I will truly
believe it when I see win64-only games, and when I see gamers give up their
old, driverless hardware to be able to run them on win64.

> I havn't
> noticed any.  Proprietary software that is available for Linux is only
> available for i386 in most cases.

The same happens on Windows.

> I don't know what the critical mass of Linux users is that generates
> interest for Linux among software vendors.  We seem to be far from
> it.

Yes, but Microsoft is much farther.  I wouldn't be surprised if our 64-bit
userbase outnumbered win64's already.  When 64-bit computing as a whole starts
to become significant, they'll start to be interested in either of these
platforms.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.