Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:39:16PM -0400, Jim Crilly wrote:
> > Well I think users of applications like solidworks, lightwave, maya,
> > etc, just might use win64 and be quite happy with it.  Not a huge
> > market, but not nothing either.  I doubt this will be small enough that
> > linux can automatically win the 64bit OS market.  And if people start
> > demanding 64bit support they will find a way to get a machien that does
> > work with 64bit windows and get the applications they want.
>
> And don't forget games. Game developers will start releasing 64-bit binaries
> and gamers will eat them up just because 64 > 32. So the Win64 market will
> have a fair amount of users in the not too distant future.

Gamers can try anything they like, be it win64 or *-linux-gnu.  But if it
turns out that most of their hardware doesn't work with it, that's the end
of their adventure.  In the past years we have improved a lot on this area,
but win64 is basicaly starting now.  Do you see microsoft reverse-engineering
every printer, scanner, joystick, etc that users bought without win64
drivers?  They'll have to either do that, or wait untill all these hardware
becomes obsolete and is replaced.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.